Food contact PPS range extended with introduction of three grades
SOLVAY SPECIALTY POLYMERS: Food contact PPS range extended with introduction of three grades
Solvay Specialty Polymers (Alpharetta, Georgia / USA; www.solvayspecialtypolymers.com) has introduced three “Ryton polyphenylene sulphide (PPS) grades for food and beverage applications. Two of the additions – “Ryton R-4-242 and R-7-232 PPS – are new products, while the third – R-4-232 PPS – is a previously available product that is now approved for food contact.
Solvay’s food-safe PPS polymers are each available as natural or black-coloured grades, and they target applications such as food-industry appliance components that require long-term reliability at temperatures up to 200 °C. Examples include parts for deep-oil fryers, coffee machines, ovens and microwaves.
Thermal stability, dimensional stability, chemical resistance and inherent flame retardancy
Ryton® PPS (polyphenylene sulfide) compounds offer a unique combination of properties and a cost/performance balance unmatched by other engineering thermoplastics:
- Thermal Stability: A remarkable combination of both long-term resistance to temperatures up to 200°C (392°F) and short-term resistance to temperatures up to 260°C (500° F)
- Dimensional Stability: Even complex parts could be molded with very tight tolerances and will maintain dimensional stability even at elevated temperatures and and in harsh chemical environment
- Chemical Resistance: Resistant to a wide variety of solvents and corrosive chemicals even at elevated temperatures
- Inherent Flame Retardancy: All Ryton® PPS compounds have UL94 V-0 flammability ratings without flame retardant additives
What is PPS?
When blended with glass fibers and other fillers, PPS produces engineering plastics having a unique combination of properties including:
- A remarkable combination of both long-term and short-term thermal stability
- Exceptionally high modulus and creep resistance
- Outstanding resistance to a wide variety of aggressive chemical environments
- Precision molding to tight tolerances with high reproducibility
- Inherent non-flammability without flame retardant additives
- Dielectric and insulating properties stable over a wide range of conditions